Additional Fees

I had a prepaid budget car reservation at EWR airport. When I reached to pick up the car, the customer representative asked me to provide my driver’s license & credit card which I did.

She spent some time on her screen looking up my details. At that time, her colleague asked her for help & she started helping her & left me waiting for 10 mins. After she came back she said she needs to talk to her manager regarding availability of compact cars. In the meantime, she asked me if I needed car insurance (which I rejected) & then asked me if I wanted to prepay the gas (which I rejected as well).

She again walked away for few mins & came back & asked me this time for 2 credit cards & 2 forms of ID. I was surprised by this request as I have never been asked for it but she insisted that it’s a part of their new policy. I told her that I did not see any such policy change on the website or did not get any such details in the Confirmation email I received for my reservation. Then she walked away & came back & said I need to step aside & wait for her manager to come who may or may not come in 15 mins.

All this while other customers were being helped without any issues. When I asked for refund on my prepaid reservation she said it’s not in her hands & that I need to call customer care.

She called for next customer & have him a car within 5 mins.

Few mins later I called the customer care representative & they were surprised as well as to why I was asked for 2 credit cards as it’s not in the policy. This is sheer case of racism (I am brown) as even after prepaying for the car & presenting a valid credit card & license, budget denied me a rental car while giving the cars to other customers.

Product or Service Mentioned: Budget Rent A Car Car Rental.

Comments

Last time I went to Newark, everyone was brown. How does that single you out for discrimination ? Something is missing from this story.