I reserved a 5-day rental from Budget with pick-up at Newark Airport beginning on 3/21/18. I reserved a small/midsize SUV.

Upon getting to the Budget check-in area, there was one person at the counter. She was a young girl, have no idea of her name as she had no identifying name tag or any clothing indicating she worked for Budget. When I approached the counter she was obviously on her personal cell phone texting. After a moment, I advised her that I had a car reserved. She asked my name and for my Driver's License and credit card (reservation was prepaid). It took her over five minutes to even find the reservation and then another minute or two to even acknowledge it. Clearly, her attitude exuded "I could care less". So now almost 15 minutes goes by, still waiting. Mind you, I am the only person there.

Note that she is back on her cell phone and playing fussing with her nails. Meanwhile, a gentleman comes to the counter and advises her that he dropped off his car about 40 minutes prior and left his child's car seat by mistake. He advised her that he looked in the lot and did not see the car he had dropped off. He also advised her that his plane was taking off in less than an hour, and he had to go back through security (long line) and it was urgent. I took her several minutes to even get off her butt to talk with someone outside. She came back and told him they were looking for it. Meanwhile, still waiting for my rental. Another few minutes goes by, clearly she could care less as she is back on her cell phone. After a few minutes, the panicked gentleman asked her to call her supervisor as this was urgent. She casually called someone, no one came. A few minutes later, she finally completed getting my reservation documents ready and I was on my way.

The rental car I was given was an older Dodge Journey with 32,000 miles. This is what I paid almost $300 for?? And it was not only dirty on outside, the inside was not clean. With a snow storm already starting, and a long drive, I had no time to address these issues. I also have to say that returning the car at 4 AM was a little confusing, lack of signage, no attendants.

So, after reading similar reviews here, I would suggest anyone looking for a rental in Newark use Avis or Enterprise. Budget, you should be ashamed of yourself. Your customer service is substandard. Never again!

Product or Service Mentioned: Budget Rent A Car Car Rental Booking.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Comments