4100 Donald Douglas Dr, Long Beach, CA 90808, USA

I am furious. We recently had a death in the family and my wife had to book a last minute flight and rental car. As it was last minute, I was unable to go with her. When she arrived at the Long Beach Airport Budget Rental she was told that there were no mid-sized sedans available. She was told that she could upgrade to an SUV for an extra $7 a day. As her reservation was for a mid-sized car, she was shocked and asked for an explanation. The girl told her that if she didn't like it, then she could go somewhere else. Really? My wife agreed only because she was very tired, stressed, and trying to cope with the loss of her grandmother. She didn't feel like arguing. When my wife asked about the gas service option the terms of the option were not explained to her. It was not explained to her that she would be paying for and entire tank of gas regardless whether it was returned full or not. When she went to pick up the vehicle she told me there were all kinds of mid-sized vehicles available.

During her time there, our account was charged extra for the gas service and the upgrade, in addition to the contracted reservation amount. I spoke with two representatives who assured me that we would not be charged for the upgrade. After my wife returned home our account was charged for the upgrade and misrepresented gas service charge.

It is unacceptable and unprofessional of the staff to take advantage of a customer. Especially when they are dealing with the loss of a loved one. The customer service representatives I spoke with appeared to be accommodating, but still gave me the impression I was wasting their time. The last call I had, just before this post was with a supervisor; Laronda. I tried to explain to her in a calm and humble manner our circumstance and why I was calling, but she interrupted me. She was quick to say that an adjustment had already been made. Not a refund or anything like that, just an adjustment, and that I would get it in three to five business days.

I was confused as I was assured that we would not be charged in the first place for the upgrade.

I am not sure if coercion or bait and switch is a common practice with Budget. But they really need to look into their rental practices and the staff at the Long Beach Airport Budget location. I can assure you though, that they will not be getting any business from us ever again.

Reason of review: Customer Service and services misrepresentation.

Budget Rent A Car Cons: How my wife was taken advantage off in her time of grief.

Comments