Bloomington, Illinois

There were so many things wrong with my experience at Budget/Avis at O'Hare Airport, I can't believe they're still in business. It's riddled with fraud and deceptive business practices.

How can we make them pay restitution for all the wrong-doing they've done? At any rate, here's my story:

Because of a cancelled flight, we needed to rent a car from O'Hare Airport to Bloomington, IL.

The rep at the Budget counter (Alana) told us the price for a one-way rental would be $159.99 for a day. We declined additional insurance and showed Alana our auto insurance card in case she needed it to verify coverage.

After telling us she didn't need to see our auto insurance card, Alana proceeded to sign us up for additional insurance, against our clear and specific instructions. She turned the small computer screen around and told us to click "accept" a couple of times and then sign. We thought we were simply accepting the normal terms of renting a car. Unknown to us, we were actually signing to agree to pay for additional insurance.

We didn't realize this until we returned the car to Bloomington Airport, where we were given a receipt saying that Budget was actually charging us $422 for renting a car for 16 hours!!!! We called customer service where we were told it must have been a "glitch" in the system. They said they would refund 161.32 (random number) but they would not refund us the $33 for the additional insurance because we "signed the agreement". The customer service rep was rude and insulting, repeating over and over again "You signed the agreement!", "You signed the agreement!", "You signed the agreement!".

She didn't care that we were misled by Alana, the rep at O'Hare. From what I'm reading on hundreds of reviews now, this seems to be a common theme with Budget/Avis.

That's another thing...Avis and Budget are sister companies and they employ the same deceptive practices. I will NEVER rent from Budget/Avis again.

Product or Service Mentioned: Budget Rent A Car Car Rental.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

Budget Rent A Car Cons: Being decieved, Customer service, Being lied to.

• Added fees
  • Ohare Airport

Comments

Yes, that's very bad.

But if you're old enough to rent a car, you're old enough to know the oldest rule: never sign without reading! My Dad taught me that as a young girl and it has spared me from a few shady a***oles.

Little to no sympathy points from me.

You could have caught her in the act and shamed her!

I would have ripped her a new one. Now you're stuck with this bullshiitt headache that was easily preventable.